Sunday, December 6, 2009

12 Days of Christmas "Cookie Style" - Gingerbread

Gingerbread Cookies

I am just going to be honest right now... I am not down with the gingerbread! I included these because they are a Christmas tradition, and I make them every year. They are so stinking cute :) I love to look at them, decorate them, really anything besides eat them...but a lot of people order them every year so they must taste good. I even collect gingerbread stuff for the house, I can't resist those cute little guys!

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup molasses
2/3 cup cold water
7 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and water in very large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.

Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Roll one fourth of dough at a time 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with floured gingerbread cookie cutter. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched in center. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Now decorate them up really cute :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks