Friday, November 19, 2010

Harvest Pot Roast

(This is a re-post from last December. A friend mentioned that I should post this again since I always refer to it on my menu plan. It is an awesome way to change up the roast for dinner...we LOVE it!)



If you read my GUEST POST you know that I just wrote about several different ways to serve a roast and how it is so versatile. My favorite roast has always been a traditional pot roast with mashed potatoes. Why? Well, mashed potatoes are my favorite food! I was leery to make this recipe because I love sweet potatoes, but I ALWAYS have them covered in brown sugar. So, a savory sweet potato kind of threw me for a loop.


Hesitantly I made it though, because my husband LOVES them and of course I want to make him happy! It was unbelievable! I had company over and we all loved it. Something happened with the dry onion soup mix and soy sauce to give it a great flavor. Now, I am not sure which is my favorite...mashed potatoes, you may have been knocked into second place!


Ingredients:
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 1/2 cup plus 3tablespoons water, divided
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 (3-31/2 lb.) boneless chuck roast
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pan saucepan, combine soup mix, 1 1/2 cups water, soy sauce, and brown sugar; add roast.
2.Cover and bake 1 hour and 45 minutes
3.Add potatoes and bake covered, an additional 45 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender.
4.Remove roast and potatoes to serving platter and keep warm; reserve juices.
5.In a small cup, with wire whisk, blend remaining 3 tablespoons water with flour. In same Dutch oven, add flour to reserved juices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Serve with roast and potatoes.

I adapted the recipe from

HERE

*Another idea I had was to use 1/2 sweet and 1/2 regular potatoes next time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks