Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I had the absolute best cookie I have ever had this weekend! I know, bold statement...but it's true. Have you ever been to Potbelly's? My first experience with Potbelly was last year in Chicago. My husband had been raving about it, we walked past one, so we ate lunch there. We were there because he had a tax class or something like that to go to, so I was alone wandering my favorite city for several days. I ate lunch there every day (I have a serious addiction to Italian sandwiches, and they make a mean one)

Fast forward one year...I had eaten there many times since Chicago, but always just get one of two sandwiches. We were there Sunday with a friend...and he introduced me to their cookies. IT. WAS. AMAZING! I have had/made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies before (usually out of the Betty Crocker pouch), but their's was by far the best.

The thing that normally bothers me about oatmeal cookies is that the dry out quickly. I don't know if it is due to the oats or what, but I hate dry cookies. I enjoy cookies that have a slightly crisp edge and a chewy center. I combated the normal dry cookie by making huge cookies. That way, they have more of a chewy center. It actually helped a lot!

So, if you are like me on how you like your cookies consider using an ice cream scoop to make them. I ended up with about 13 jumbo cookies instead of the 3 1/2 dozen it is supposed to yield. Also, they may appear a little undercooked in the center but take them out of the oven anyways.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until combined. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.

Bake 12 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

*If you make jumbo cookies, use an ice cream scoop and extend cooking time. Mine took about 16 minutes.
This post is linked to:
Ultimate Recipe Swap @
Life As Mom
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday @ Blessed With Grace
Tuesday’s at the Table @ All The Small Stuff

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm visiting from Cole's. I love choc chip oatmeal cookies! I have to try this recipe.

annies home said...

how delicious

Unknown said...

YUMMY!!! recipe, my favorite combination in a cookie oatmeal and chocolate. Your photo looks AWESOME!!!
I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipe and ideas. Come by and visit maybe you can do the same.
Geri

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks