Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

I was looking for turkey and rice soup for my leftover turkey carcass. I came across this recipe on A Year of Slow Cooking, and immediately decided this was the one to try. When I saw it had balsamic vinegar, I was sold. We love balsamic vinegar around here. It really gave the soup an amazing flavor, so don't leave it out!

This recipe did not disappoint. It is very healthy, very inexpensive, and very flavorful. It is a must try!

turkey carcass (you can substitute 2 cups cooked turkey)

8 cups of water to make broth (you can substitute 8 cups chicken broth)

1 chicken bullion cube

2/3 cup uncooked wild rice

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped carrots

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 cups baby spinach leaves

Get out your biggest crock pot. Place your turkey carcass in and add the 8 cups of water. You may need to break the bones to fit him in the crock pot, but mine fit fine. You can add onion or celery to season if you wish. The more meat and skin left on the carcass the better for flavor.

Cover and cook on low overnight. Now it is time to strain the broth. Put a colander inside a bigger bowl (inside the sink) and dump everything in. Pick off the meat on the carcass and add it to the broth. Now add the broth back into the crock pot.

Chop up the celery, onion, and carrot and add to the broth. Add the rice. Add the bullion cube and balsamic vinegar and stir. Add two heaping handfuls of spinach to the pot. It looks like a lot, but it shrinks quite a bit.

Cover and cook on low for 8-19 hours of on high for 4-6!

This post is linked to:
Crock Pot Wednesday @ Dining with Debbie
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday @
Blessed With Grace
Tuesday’s at the Table @
All The Small Stuff
What’s Cooking Wednesday @
Tales from the Fairy Blogmother

6 comments:

Misty said...

Sounds yummy! Will be trying this for sure! How big a crock pot now?!? haha...

Unknown said...

We too really enjoy Balsamic vinegar. As former Minnesotans, we also LOVE wild rice. I'll be giving this a try :)

Blessings!
Gail

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Your soup recipe looks great! Thanks for linking your post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Shan said...

Great looking soup. I'm always on the look out for new soup recipes. Thanks for sharing this for WCW.

Katie said...

Lisa and Shan,

I just found both of your blogs. They are both great and I will be linking up from now on!

LeAnn said...

This is perfect. I have never used my turkey carcass before because it was so troublesome, and also I really did not know what to do. I have bookmarked this and am going to try it. I have a turkey in the freezer that I was thinking I need to use. Thanks for sharing. !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks