Thursday, May 27, 2010

Calico Beans

Calico beans is something that is all new to me and my family. Baked beans have never been my thing, so I rarely made them. The only time I would eat them is when my mom would make them in a bean pot...they cook for hours and would get all thick and the flavors would really mix together. None of this can stuff works for me!


(You have probably noticed that I am kind of picky...at least some would say that I am)


I came across this recipe exactly a year ago as I was making a menu for Daniel's birthday party. I was doing a cookout and couldn't bear to make ordinary baked beans. I tried this recipe for the party and it was an instant hit. I loved them, the family loved them, and everyone asked for the recipe. I will never go back to ordinary beans again. Also, they are even better left over!


Don't be scared off by the amount of onions and variety of beans. I promise it all comes together wonderfully well and you won't have a strong onion flavor!


Saute onions, bacon, and garlic until onions are tender.

Add in brown sugar and cider vinegar.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Add in beans and stir. Pour into a greased 3 qt. baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

As you can see I just baked my beans in the same lovely Le Creuset dish. I love this dish so much...it brings me much joy to bust it out and use it!!!

4 onions, halved and sliced
5 strips bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 cans pork and beans
2 cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

3 comments:

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Looks delicious. Sounds similar to the ones my mom makes. Perfect for any gathering. Thanks!!

Tightwad Mom said...

I have been looking for this recipe! Thanks for posting; by the way, I love your pretty dish!

jayayceeblog said...

I have never had a recipe for calico beans before - this looks fantastic. I'm definitely making it the next time we throw a barbeque.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks