Friday, September 17, 2010

My Coupon Clipping Secret

I feel the need to usher you into my dining room today.

It appears nice and clean...decorated for fall!

At first glance! (yeah, I forgot to take a pic, but trust me)

You see, for months now I have only been able to have 5 people at a table meant for 6.

Thank goodness there are only two of us...

Why?

Yes!!!! Those are coupons dating back to June! I haven't clipped them and they have just accumulated right there in that chair. Push the chair in and it looks clean...but I know it isn't. I know I sound weird, but it haunts me.

Why can't I keep 'em clipped?

Then when I get my stuff ready to go grocery shopping...it is a big old ordeal. I have to lift them onto the table and rummage through them for what seems like forever. Half of the time I still can't seem to find what I need.

So, I am tired of it. I am tired of clutter. I am tired of not keeping a neatly clipped coupon binder.


Above is a photo of this weeks inserts. I am really into timers right now. I put the timer on for 30 minutes and was going to clip my little heart out with this weeks inserts. When the timer went off I was done for the day.

Do you want the good or bad news first?

Bad first?...my hands were kind of tired.

Good news...with the pressure on (the timer, remember) I clipped really fast and I finished all of the coupons from this past week in 23 minutes!!!!!

The verdict: I am going to clip 30 minutes a day until this ghastly stack is gone. Who can't spare 23 minutes a week to keep things organized???

Do you use a timer to aid in your cleaning around the house?

What measures do you take to keep clutter to a minimum?

I could use the help here, folks! Please chime in!!

13 comments:

Kimi said...

I use timers all the time. To remind me I have laundry that needs to be switched. To allow me to do room rescues. Etc.

As far as my coupons..I keep the inserts together dated and pull what I need when I need it because of great people who post deals & coupon data bases. They are in a hanging file folder that folds up when not in use. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of it.

Katie said...

Kimi,

Thanks as always for you comment! I am glad to find out I am not the only timer setting girl out there. I find it helps keep me motivated...

Ok, so I have heard a lot of people say they do some sort of organizing like you, but your file folder sounds great.

I have always been hesitant to leave my binder behind, but it sounds like you keep your coupons pretty accessible that way. And don't HAVE to clip them all.

I would love to see a pic...if you have time!!

Misty said...

I am LOVING the timer idea!!! What a fabulous idea! I have heard it before... but never put it into practice, this post has made me want to start TODAY! :)

As for me, I love my binder... so I still like to clip, but Kimi, you have me VERY interested in your system...

I love your willingness to let your guard down and show us that you don't have it all together... that is one of the many things that is so precious about you and keeps inspiring me to read... because it isn't you, but God working through you!

NorahS said...

I love to use a timer for all kinds of jobs and for breaks, too! It really helps me get things done and not linger too long in front of HGTV when I take a break.

I really enjoy your blog even though I rarely comment.

Katie said...

Misty,

Maybe I will write up a post on the timer subject sometime. It keeps you on track for the day. I also set it every hour on laundry day...so I remember to go downstairs and change it out.

If you get destracted easily...like me...I am sure it will help you! I mean, I have an index card system to keep housework on track.

Have it all together???? Yeah, not so much. I struggle with it...I think I am undiagnosed ADD or something and...what can I say?

Katie said...

Norah,

HGTV can be addicting, can't it!

Your kind comment made my day.

It is always SO nice to hear that people are reading...and enjoying my boring old self...it really encourages me to keep going, so thank you :)

Mom said...

I think that you should share your index system for cleaning the house:}

Katie said...

Mom, you see...everyone does not love me as much as you do. I am afraid if I show my OCD side, they may never come back :)

I will think about it, though...I do love those index cards very much!

Tightwad Mom said...

I want to hear about your index system for cleaning the house!!! I use timers to remind me of laundry,and when I really need to clean up(but I don't want to). I also use them to keep the kids from fighting over their computer time.

cherielynn09 said...

Your timer idea has inspired me to get with the clipping of q's!!

I am SO behind...my binder has mostly EXPIRED coupons in it...:(

I do the hanging folder thingy to store them...this comes in handy for unexpected deals or sales...but not so great for items you mostly shop for....so I try to keep those clipped and in my binder.

My hanging folders are in a special tote made for hanging folders and I keep one month in one folder...so you can easily keep a YEARS worth of coupons in one tote!!!

and....YES...sometimes you do have to go back almost that far when looking for that special Q!!!

I like the timer idea...I use it for some things...but you've given me ideas where I could incorporate it into some other chores and it would help alot!!!

Hugs,
Cherie

Katie said...

Tightwad Mom,

That is a great idea using the timers with your kids...I am sure that helps a lot.

I will get a post together here soon about the index cards...if you promise to not make fun of me :)

Katie said...

Cherie,

I need to see your coupon hangy file thingy. Sounds very cool...and it would keep my junk out of eyesight.

Yes, timers are fantastic...try them for quick cleaning...it keeps you on track.

Michele said...

I LOVE timers. I use them to time kids showers, cooking, laundry, and cleaning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks