Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Organizing Your Freezer

Ok, I will admit it. I am a perfectionist, to a fault. Just the other day...on the list was to clean the bedroom. Well, I had a hundred other things I needed to do, including a quick run through of the freezer so I could write this post, so this was supposed to be a quick bedroom cleaning.

Next thing I knew it was dinner time. Time got away from me and I spent all day cleaning the bedroom and bathrooms. I took all of the drawers out and vacuumed them. I emptied my jewelry box and tediously cleaned it. Then I noticed I need to polish my silver jewelry. So you see...it can be a major fault because I lose sight of the big picture and get focused on stupid stuff. I had a list of things to do before vacation...and polishing jewelry wasn't anywhere on it.

Because I know how I am I have to take steps to keep myself on track! I do this by keeping things organized! If you have steps to keep organized you don't end up with a big mess...and a whole day project of cleaning/organizing the freezer. It will only take a little tidying up every now and then.


You don't have to a super organizer, just follow a few simple steps.

Has your freezer ever looked like this?

(This is not my freezer. I got this off of google.)



Well, the problem is that you can’t see what you have. You may be keeping a great inventory…but good luck finding that chicken you KNOW that you have…somewhere in that mess.

Here is my upright freezer…



Tips for keeping an organized freezer

1.Package things in freezer bags

When things are packaged in freezer bags they are easy to file away. It saves space and they are easy to see. When you fill a freezer bag with food, lie it flat until it freezes through so they are easy to stack!




2.Divide foods by group

In my refrigerator freezer I keep all of my frozen vegetables in the bottom pull out bin. They are all upstairs and they are in the same drawer. When I need a package of vegetables I don’t have to dig around…I know exactly where to go. I do the same with the cheese. I keep it all in a box in the upstairs freezer. Simple, but very important!





3. Storage Bins

Bins are your freezer’s best friend. I bought these a while back at Wal-Mart for about $5 each. I have four…chicken, roasts and steaks, ground beef, and pork. Ultimately these would be labeled, but I know what is in each one and I am the only one who gets in the freezer. So…it works for me until I get a labeler!




What tips do you have for keeping an organized freezer?


6 comments:

Shelby McDevitt said...

I love those bins!! We too are super organized in our freezer! We have a chest freezer and use milk crates to separate the meats - its perfect because the crates stack on top of eachother!! Great Post!

Kimi said...

I love those bins too!! I never thought of that!! I need (ok more like want but...) a labeler too!! I asked for one for Christmas..we'll see.

Misty said...

Your freezer is SO cute with those bins... What a great post!

Lisa B. said...

I really have to get my chest freezer organized! Yours looks great.

Elise Gabrielle said...

Since I can't sleep, I've been reading back through your blog and stealing some recipes to put in my YummySoup! application. Our freezer at home is a MESS and my mom keeps saying that she wants to organize it. Maybe tomorrow, as a surprise, I can get a few bins and do this myself! Your freezer looks great!

Katie said...

Elise, don't you have those nights when you can't sleep? So frustrating!

I am sure you mom would love that! What a nice surprise!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks