Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Basic Pie Crust

My Grandma is the "Pie Queen". I have never seen anyone try to compete with her in the area of pies...her mad pie making skillz are really just that good. Coconut Cream, Lemon, Cherry...you name it, she has mastered it. She makes an awesome pie crust, but it is kind of like her famous rolls...they're almost impossible to make as good as hers. She must just have a special touch.

When I came across this pie crust recipe that is made in my food processor I was all excited. It makes pie crust making a breeze...it is a no fail recipe. I know that because I failed at many recipes before.

I was on cloud nine whipping up pies for everyone and everything...that is, until my beloved food processor bit the dust, taking with it my skillz. I loved that food processor and used it ALL.THE.TIME.

I was depressed the whole month after it died. I would get the notion to whip something up only to remember that she was no longer by my side helping me look good in the kitchen. I have a little food processor on my blender, but I broke it the first time I tried to use the dumb thing. It wasn't sturdy enough. It didn't quite have the steam to crush nuts to a fine powder. It was too small and paled in comparison to my 14 cup baby.

Until I get a new one I am making pies crusts the old fashioned way...and I guess it hasn't been too bad! So if you don't have a food processor, don't worry...you can make this by hand!

Ingredients (double crust):
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
13 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 14 pieces
4 1/2 tablespoons ice water



Process the flour and salt in a food processor for 20 seconds. (Or whisk them together by hand in a large mixing bowl.)

Distribute the butter evenly over the flour and process until the mixture resembles course meal, 15-20 seconds. (Or rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips or cut it in the with a pastry blender.)



With the food processor running, pour the ice water in a steady stream through the feed tube and process just until the dough comes together. (Or sprinkle the water over the mixture while tossing with a fork.)


Shape the dough into 2 thick disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Roll into a circle 2 inches bigger than the size of the pie pan.

Fit the dough into a 9 inch pie plate and trim edges. Keep the crust in the refrigerator until ready to fill. If prebaking the crust, refrigerate the crust for at least 30 minutes before baking.




Do you have some mad pie making skillz...or do you prefer just to buy them at the grocery store?

4 comments:

Misty said...

Doesn't look that intimidating... BUT, I do need a food processor! (Another reason to add to the HAVE TO HAVE list) Can't go messing up my blender again! :)

Katie said...

Misty- you can make it by hand if you don't have a food processor! BUT, you may want to tell Tim you NEED it?!?! LOL!

Blenders are only good for little things like smoothies in my opinion.

Tightwad Mom said...

I can't wait to try this recipe in my food processor! Quick and easy, that's my favorite!

Unknown said...

Pie crust is one of those recipe skills that has eluded me. :( I may get up the nerve to try this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks