Thursday, December 10, 2009

12 Days of Christmas "Cookie Style"-Candy Cane

Candy Cane Cookies

Oh my, these are my most favorite cookies EVER!!!! I would eat them all year, but that might be a little weird. I mean cookies for Easter that taste like peppermint?? Sounds strange to me. I have great memories of making these with my Aunt Becky when I was little. They were my favorite then, and still are today!

I have seen similar recipes elswhere, but they either don't have the glaze or are just sugar cookies shaped like candy canes. Ugh...that won't work for me.


1 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
dash of salt
2 1/2 cups flour
red food coloring

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
enough water to brush or drizzle on cookies

In a large bowl, beat margarine until soft. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, peppermint, and salt. Beat well. Add flour and beat well. Divide dough into two equal balls. Color one red (it really will just be pinkish). Chill 30 minutes.

For each candy cane, scoop 1 teaspoonful of plain dough and 1 teaspoonful of the red dough. Roll each dough portion between your hands to make a 4 inch rope. Twist together, pinch ends, and form into a candy cane. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees 8-9 minutes. Let cool and drizzle glaze on cookies!

These cookies freeze great! I bake them and freeze without the glaze. When you are ready to eat them, just pull out of the freeze and put the glaze on them.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

these are so good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks