Friday, December 4, 2009

12 Days of Christmas "Cookie Style"- Caramels

Caramels

Ok, I know I said 12 Days of Christmas "Cookie Style", but I love these caramels! I just couldn't leave out a few of my candy recipes. I make these every Christmas, and I have lots of requests for them. They are pretty easy to make, but do take some time to cut and wrap them. That would be a great thing for the kids to help with! I know the recipe only makes an 8x8 pan, but trust me, that is A LOT of caramels. I have never been a fan of "caramel" flavor, but when I made these I was converted. These are a MUST try!


1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup light colored corn syrup
1-14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.Line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with foil. Extend the foil over the edges of the pan. Butter the foil.
2.In a 3 qt. heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over med-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of pan. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate, stead rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm ball stage(15-20 minutes). (adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.)
3.Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. When firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut into 1 inch squares. Wrap each piece in wax paper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks