Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chess Pie

Let me just say that I love me some chess pie! In the schools where I work, they used to sell great pies in the cafeteria. Weird, I know, but they had THE best brownie cheesecake pie and chess pie. I had never heard of chess pie and reluctantly tried it; it was love immediately. It is probably a good thing they don't sell pie anymore, because we all bought pie EVERY day (maybe that is why I gained weight)!

Nobody I talked to had ever heard of chess pie, so I went on a mission to re-create this yummy goodness at home. I really don't even know how to describe it, it is like no other pie I have ever had (and believe me, I have probably eaten/made every pie imaginable!). It is sweet, but not too sugary...that is the best I can do for an explanation. It would be a great pie to make if you are trying to get one last good dessert in before the diet season!


1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 stick of margarine, melted
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoons vinegar
1 pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix sugar and cornmeal. Add melted margarine and mix thoroughly.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition. Add all liquids, taking care to add vinegar last. Mix well and pour into pie shell. Bake for 45-55 minutes (until it is set).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make the same pie but using flour instead of cornmeal. Got this recipe from my step mom and she called it Vinegar Pie. When visiting Deerfield Village in Michigan, I tried their Vinegar Pie but it tasted like Lemon Pie. Perhaps, my step mom's pie has called it Vinegar Pie because of the ingredient vinegar. You can't taste it at all. Regardless, it is deeelisssh!

Katie said...

I have heard of it called pantry pie, but never vinegar pie. Isn't that funny how the same thing can have a million names!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks