Thursday, December 31, 2009

Beef Cabbage Soup

I told you to go get your cabbage and I would post this recipe. I sure hope you did, this is our all time favorite soup! You can thank my Mamaw for this one...she just has the best recipes. I make this all the time in the winter; it is wonderful with a sandwich or homemade bread.

I made a double batch for the freezer this time. The best way to freeze it is to put it in gallon freezer bags. It is cheap, easy, and doesn't take up much room in the freezer. I know I have mentioned it on here before, freezer bags are how I freeze everything I can get by with.

1 pound hamburger
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 med onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper
2 - 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
2 - 15 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 cups water
1/2 small head of cabbage
8 oz. can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger-drain off grease. Add all ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat and simmer 1 hour.

*You can also make this in your crock pot. Brown you hamburger, drain, and add all other ingredients to crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

9 comments:

Dana said...

This soup is my absolute favorite!!!!!! It is a must try for those who love soup.

Misty said...

I can't wait to try this soup! I bought my cabbage! :) Sounds SO yummy!

Katie said...

I hope you all like the soup, Misty! Let me know!

Unknown said...

I'm making a double batch of the soup today. Will use some for a dinner next week when I work late and the rest I'm freezing is small quart bags for lunch.

Misty said...

I think I am going to try and make this tomorrow... and then freeze individual servings for just me at lunchtime... :)

Misty said...

So I finally made this this morning for lunch and am eating it now... OH MY! That's all I can say! It is SO good! Thanks for sharing... this will definitely be a fav!

Alison said...

This is going on next weeks' menu! Or maybe the one after that! I have so many new recipes lined up that I want to try! :)

I've made beef and cabbage as a casserole before, but never as a soup. I love that you have beans added to it! Mmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I just LOVE this soup! I've been dieting and it fits right in! It's very low cal when I use 96/4 lean ground beef and I nix the sugar! It doesn't lose any flavor though! Thank you so much!

Amberly

Katie said...

Amberly,

I am so happy to hear that you like the soup! I love that it didn't lose the flavor when you left out the sugar and used lean ground beef. I will have to try it that way!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks