Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Countdown to Christmas - Green Bean Casserole


I know, I know... everyone makes this! They do, but not like mine. I love the regular old green bean casserole, and always looked forward to it until I made this. Now, I will eat it, but it isn't even close to this. So, if you like green bean casserole, I challenge you to try this and see if you don't like it better, too.

I got this recipe from none other than the famous Paula Deen! Have I mentioned how much I LOVE her???? This recipe calls for mostly the same ingredients, but the fresh green beans and cheese make the difference. The fresh green beans are so much crispier, they don't get soggy like the kind in a can. This is a must make for your holiday dinner!

1/3 stick butter
1/2 diced onions
2 cups sliced fresh green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8 oz.) can french-fried onion rings
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of garlic powder
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute onions in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, salt, pepper, garlic powder to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until casserole is hot and cheese is melted.

Yields- 6 servings

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made this for Thanksgiving last year and it was amazing!!! Certainly the best green bean casserole I've had!!! Paula Deen is pretty amazing!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks