Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stuff the Storeroom

Kroger has boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.89/lb. That is a pretty good price, so consider stocking up.

A few chicken tips:

Go ahead and cook and dice the chicken before freezing. It makes for a quicker dinner preparation. I use mine for BBQ Chicken Pizza, various casseroles, chicken pot pie, and many other things.

Place your raw chicken in a marinade and freeze. Just thaw and dinner is ready to go on the grill. I know it isn't really grilling season, but it seems to be grilling season all year at our house :) I make up my marinades in large quantities and then freeze 2 per package.

I want to give you one of my favorite freezer recipes. These chimichangas are so good and easy to make up and freeze. They are very filling too. I usually just make one for myself.

Chicken Chimichangas

1 lb. cooked chicken, diced or shredded
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
1 can refried beans
1 envelope taco seasoning
8 oz. shredded cheese
10 flour tortillas

Combine chicken, salsa, beans, and seasoning in a skillet over med-high heat. Heat til thoroughly combined.

In another skillet, heat tortillas for 30 seconds each, so they roll up easier. Add 1/3 cup mixture to tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up and wrap in foil. Freeze.

Bake in foil in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Unwrap and bake 10 minutes longer-just til slightly crispy. Serve with sour cream, cheese, and salsa.

*This recipe is easily doubled or tripled. I just keep all my foil wrapped chimichangas in a freezer bag. It makes a great dinner when you forgot to defrost something, since you bake them frozen.

4 comments:

Misty said...

Yummy!!! Those sound SUPER good! Definitely will be trying those... SOON! :) Thanks for sharing...

Heather said...

I just went last night and stocked up on the chicken. I came home and put it all in the freezer. I will have to say it sounds like a huge task to come home and cook it....very overwhelming to me.

Katie said...

Just start small! When you are cooking chicken for dinner, make double at the same time. You don't have to do it all at once.

Heather said...

Baby steps....I am sure the more I do the better I will get. It is a differnet mind set. I am one that usually sets meat out to thaw and if I don't then we eat breakfast food or eat out. I know it will be very helpful especially when we are extremely busy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks