Sunday, March 7, 2010

Setting an Appointment

"Make an appointment with the King and keep it, a man is powerful on his knees."- Corrie Ten Boom.

I read this several years ago and quickly put it to memory. Recently it has been on my mind again. I have always known how important it is to spend time with God, but...an actual appointment?

The more I have pondered this I have realized that while I have been spending time with Him it is often when it "works" in my schedule. I "squeeze" it in...on my morning commute, before bed, and so on. My focus then tends to be on the road (thank goodness, huh?) or going to bed, and not completely on Him...

Everybody has schedules and meetings and obligations. We are all busy, but we don't think twice about setting up time to meet with our friends...at least I don't. We don't work them in. I value my relationship with God above all else, and have really been feeling like I need to set a designated appointment with the King.

I understand having a prayerful attitude all the time and praying throughout the day...but...of the twenty four hours in a day that He has blessed me with, I need to give more than ten here and twenty there. A solid blocked out appointment time.

Some verses that come to mind are - James 5:16, Philippians 4:6-7, 2 Chronicles 7:14-15

What do you think about setting an appointment with the King? A designated daily quiet time without interruptions.

2 comments:

Misty said...

My favorite post of the week! I love Faith of a Foodie! :)

You know, I really like the idea of making an appt. with the Lord daily... so often, I find distractions take over my quiet time and before I know it, the day is gone and I have missed that time with Him...

I am definitely going to try to set an appt. with Him this week, BEFORE the kiddos wake up. :)

Anonymous said...

Debbie said,
I agree with Misty, Your Sunday post is my favorite!
It is hard in a world of distractions to devote "quality time" with God. Sometimes the "wee" hours of the morning work best for me. It has taken me many years to realize that, in order to devote these early hours to God, I must go to bed early!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks