Friday, July 30, 2010

Making Homemade Croutons

I could try to win you over to the homemade-crouton-making-side by explaining to you how cost effective it is. While I would be telling you the honest truth...it really doesn't matter. Why? Well, after one delicious crouton you would probably continue making them even if they were more expensive.

They are really cheap to make though, and very delicious! I usually make them from my homemade bread, but store bought bread is an easy choice. My mom and I strolled past the reduced rack the other day and I saw some wonderful asiago focaccia bread for just $1.19 each!!! I took a little time and whipped us up some yummy croutons! (I know, I know, what a sweet daughter I am! Ha Ha)

There is really no exact recipe to follow, but I wanted to fill you in on the basics and you can go from there!

Here we go! You need some bread, olive oil, and salt...I also used garlic powder in mine! Oh, and make sure you use a serrated knife...if you don't have one...run out and get one...they are a must have in the kitchen!

Now it is time to get to work! Using your serrated knife cut your bread in half, like so!
Then you want to do one half at a time and cube it up into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces. Put your cubes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. You don't need too much, but you want it on all cubes. I used about 1/2 cup for one whole loaf.

Get a cookie sheet ready...and line it with foil for easy clean up! Pour your bread cubes onto the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and other spices.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Take out and stir. Bake for 10-12 more minutes...until they are dried out. Baking time will depend a little bit on the size of your bread cubes.

Here is the finished product! I store mine in an airtight bag for about two weeks!
I would say that is a lot of yummy goodness for less than $3?


This post is linked to Frugal Friday at www.lifeasmom.com




3 comments:

Misty said...

Ok, so I have NEVER made homemade croutons but LOVE them at restaurants! :) This has definitely inspired me to try my hand at making some...

Now, if only I could find me some of that bread... :)

Daniel said...

Holy cow, I got a couple of these out of the bag the other day, and they are awesome!

Mom said...

These are the best I have ever eaten!!! My bag is empty, time to make more. I am going to scan the markdown isle for some more bread. I am addicted. ~Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks