Thursday, September 30, 2010

Barbecue Chicken Pizza and Family Night

I realized this week that Monday was “National Eat with Your Family Day”...hey, better late than never!

“Family Day-A day to Eat Dinner with You Children is a national movement to inform parents that the parental engagement fostered during frequent family dinners is an effective tool to help keep America’s kids substance free.” –Casa Family Day

I thought in honor of this day I would share with you a great “family night” recipe. I hope that you will find a night this weekend to get with your family. Get the kids in the kitchen to help you make some homemade pizza and then break out the board games!

I guarantee that both you and your kids will have a frugal fun time!

If you would rather make a traditional pizza you can use the crust recipe below and my pizza sauce recipe
HERE.


Papaw's Pizza Crust

1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups flour


Get out a large bowl. Pour in the yeast and water. Let the yeast dissolve into the water. Add in the rest of the ingredients.

Mix it all up. Put on a floured surface and knead until smooth (several minutes).

Roll out and press into a pizza pan. It is as easy as that!

Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. (This varies based on ovens...bake until crust and cheese is slightly brown.)



Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Barbecue Sauce (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's)
Red Onion
Chicken, diced
Bacon, diced
Cilatro (I didn't have any this time)

Toss the chicken in a little barbecue sauce (I find it doesn't get as dry this way). Put barbecue sauce on pizza crust (trust me, you don't need a ton). Top with cheese. Top with all of the toppings. Bake in an oven preheated to 450 degrees for 12-15minutes, until crust and cheese start to brown.


You can really use whatever toppings your family enjoys. I always use chicken and onion, but everything else is usually just what I have on hand. It turns out delicious every time!




This post is linked to:




9 comments:

Misty said...

What a yummy pizza and just in time for Pizza night :) We will definitely be eating together as a family. What a GREAT post!

Tightwad Mom said...

I was just thinking about throwing pizza together tonight. I will have to give this recipe a try! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

Looks delicious!

JenH said...

That pizza looks amazing!
Btw I'm a new follower from Friendly Friday Follow. I would love it if you could stop by my blog as well! I hope you have a great Friday!
http://mrsgoldilocks.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

mmmmm love homemade pizza! If more people knew how easy the crust was to make pizza delivery would go out of business! I can't remember the last time I actually ordered one it's so easy!

Here from FF, have a great weekend!

Envymycooking said...

Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

umm yes this one needs to be feeatured.. looks so goooooddddd

Kelly Polizzi said...

hi katie, thanks for following. I am following you back too. Have a great weekend :)

Tena said...

yummers!!!

I'm your newest follower from a blog hop. Come stop by Punky Monkeys, maybe you will want to follow back?!??!

Have a great day!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a great looking pizza! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! Hope to see you again this week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks