Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ham Fried Rice

Looking for a recipe to use up all of that leftover Easter ham?

Well,I have got just the recipe for you...our new favorite.

About a month or two ago I made fried rice for the first time. I know...such a basic dish, but I didn't know how to make it. I had a package of diced ham, and I decided to try it out. Oh, my goodness...I ate two bowls because it was sooo awesomely good. My husband said I should make fried rice or some sort every week. Just think of all of the variations you could do.

I haven't made it every week, but I have made it three times. Twice were ham fried rice, and once a pineapple fried rice with chicken. Both were excellent and I look forward to many different variations to come!

I have discovered that fried rice is just one of those make it up as you go...you don't need a true recipe. I listed the ingredients we use and how I make it, but do what works for you. This is a great way to use up leftovers.




2-3 Tablespoons butter
8 oz. ham, diced
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup diced onion, divided
1 cup diced or matchstick carrots
1 cup peas (sometimes I use regular and sometimes sugar snap)
3 eggs
2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
Rice (4 servings)
Salt and Pepper

Heat butter in a large skillet. Add in ham, brown sugar, carrots, and half of the onion. Cook until heated through and onion is translucent. Move all of the ingredients over to one side of the pan.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour into the empty side of the pan. Scramble until cooked through. Add in the rice, remaining onions, peas. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add in soy sauce. Serve.

Serves: 4



What do you put in your fried rice?

9 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

Holy Yum! Your recipe sounds so much better than the one I use. I love the idea of red pepper flakes.

Tiffanee said...

Just made ham fried rice last night. I love your version. Gonna try it next go around. Looks and sounds delicious.

Katie said...

@ Tightwad Mom, they just give it a little kick...a great addition!

@ Tiffanee, Let me know how you all like it.

Lee Ann said...

sounds good. We will have to try this. BTW, can you give info on the chicken pineapple fried rice?

cherielynn09 said...

Hey Kate!

Mamaw started making fried rice back whe we lived on Guam.......many moons ago....LOL!!!

I'm like you....and when I make it.....I sort of just clean out the fridge!

I do pineapple chicken too......but I wanna hear how you make yours too!

Heck....I need a recipe with some sort of measurements cuz mine NEVER turns out the same way twice!

Katie said...

Phoebe,

It is basically the same base ingredients.

You omit the brown sugar and ham and add chicken (maybe 2 breasts), pineapple (24 oz. canned chunks), and a little curry powder.

If you don't like curry...just leave it out. It is a strong flavor and you either like it or you don't. I don't...but dear husband likes it.

Katie said...

Cherie,

Dad mentioned that mamaw made ahm fried rice growing up..but he didn't like it because she put onions in it :)

I do the same things with recipes. I have to keep a pen and paper by the stove so I can remember to write it all down...so I can share it on here!

Misty said...

I can't WAIT to try this... Tim and I love fried rice, so this is a must try! I would also like your chicken and pineapple recipe... Please share.

annies home said...

sharing this with my daughter she will love it oh so yummy come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks