Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Santa Fe Steak

I have another diet recipe for you! If you are looking for a low calorie yet flavorful dinner...look no further. This is one of the recipes I made on the South Beach Phase 1. I will keep making it even when I am not dieting because it is so good.




2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large poblano pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup water
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds flank steak

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper strips and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 8minutes.

Add water, increase heat to high, and boil until liquid is almost evaporated and vegetables are tender, 4 minutes more. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and cover to keep warm.

Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Mix garlic, cumin, and remaining oil together to form a thin paste. Spread over steak and rub well into both sides of the meat.

Season steak with salt and pepper and grill 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from heat, allow steak to rest for 5 minutes, and then thinly slice across the grain. Top steak with peppers and onions.

Makes: 4 servings


This post is linked to:
Tasty Tuesdays at
33 Shades of Green
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at
Blessed With Grace

6 comments:

Misty said...

This sounds like something Tim would order in a restaurant... We will definitely be making this SOON.

I know you put 4 servings, but with out family of 6, would you go to 2 lbs. on the steak or more?

Katie said...

Misty,

Well, I would maybe go with 2 1/2 pounds of meat. You want to make sure you have enough!!

Andrea The Greenbacks Gal said...

Fantastic blog name! I am a huge fan of flank steak. This looks delicious!

Dana said...

I can't wait to try this recipe!

Katie said...

Andrea,

Thanks! We are big fans of flank steak, too! Thanks for stopping by!

Katie said...

Dana,

If you get a chance to try it, let me know how you like it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks