Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Minimizing Food Waste

Have you entered to win the cupcake lovers necklace?
Enter HERE!




I have been trying to minimize the amount of food that hits the garbage can on refrigerator cleaning day. It isn't easy for me. I really don't like leftovers, so it has taken some serious creativity.


My blogging buddy,
Tightwad Mom, has totally inspired me on this quest! She is all the time whipping up new recipes using leftover fruits, veggies, and meat. I have been trying to either use up or re purpose fruits and veggies before they go bad. If I have leftover sour cream, I bake up some bread or muffins. If I have leftover bananas I slice and freeze for smoothies.

Anyways, I have been buying these sweet mini peppers every time I go to Sam's Club. They are about $4.50 or so, and they are awesome. They are sweet and just wonderful eaten whole. Usually we can eat all of these up in a week, but this last week they started to get wilty before we could devour them.

I decided to save them from the trash and give them new life!

I was freezer cooking that day, so I didn't have time to whip up an awesome recipe, but I frequently make Western Egg Scramble so I decided to chop them up for future breakfasts.




Seriously, look at all of those peppers that were on their way out! Saved!

I spread them out on a cookie sheet for flash freezing. Once they were frozen I put them in a freezer bag. All I have to do is pull them out and throw in my eggs.



This saves both time and money!


What do you do to minimize food waste?

11 comments:

Tiffanee said...

I do the same thing with onions also. Saves time and money.

wandeful said...

When veggies like peppers and celery get limp, soaking in ice water will crisp them up. I am going to try those peppers. They look so cute.

Katie said...

Tiffanee,

I always did the same with onion, BUT now that I found the frozen ones I won't be doing that anymore!

Katie said...

Wandeful,

Thanks for the tip. I will try that one out as soon as I get the chance!

I went last night to buy them and my Sam's quit carrying them. I am so upset...I have to find a new place to get them.

harper said...

I like to do that too! I love green onions. I buy them when they're $.50/bunch, and I buy two at a time. Then I menu plan for stir-fry at least once that week, and use a full bunch then. I also use a couple stalks in scrambled eggs for breakfast, and menu plan to have baked potatoes and fish that week too. If I have leftover green onion after that, I chop and freeze it.

Basically, I make a point of buying produce that can serve several purposes throughout the week. Green onions are a good example, because they are often inexpensive.

Katie said...

Harper,

I freeze leftover green onions when I have them, too. They are great to throw in dishes.

I love your ideas of using each veggie for several meals!! Thanks for sharing!

Tightwad Mom said...

You are fabulous!! Thanks for the kind words in today's post! With food prices going up, I am trying to be uber vigilant with re purposing leftovers.

Katie said...

Tightwad Mom,

You deserve all of the kind words! You are awesome! Thanks for all of the great ideas when it comes to re purposing food!

Christy said...

I freeze lots of fruits and veggies like this - I like how it gives me "instant" at often a much cheaper price and I am not wasteful. I like to steam greens and then put them in the blender and freeze in icecube trays. Then I store in ziploc baggies and add it to many savory dishes. My family is not fond of leftovers either - creativity is key!

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I'm working on cutting waste, too. I liked your ideas.

I'm now 'following you' and hoping to learn more.

Katie said...

@ Christy- I love your idea for greens in ice cube trays! I will have to try that!!

@ Living on Less Money- Thanks for following me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorite Cookbooks